Harris Technology - Windows Server 2016 Volume Licensing
If you can't find the information you need, please use the Make an Enquiry page or phone 1300 13 9999 and get help from a Customer Service representative.
Product overviewWindows Server 2016 is the cloud-ready operating system that supports your current workloads while introducing new technologies that make
it easy to transition to cloud computing when you are ready. It delivers powerful new layers of security along with Azure-inspired innovation
for the applications and infrastructure that power your business.
Editions overviewWindows Server 2016 editions have been streamlined to better support today's changing business requirements. Windows Server 2016
will be released in the following editions:
- Windows Server 2016 Standard: For physical or minimally virtualized environments.
- Windows Server 2016 Essentials: For small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. Essentials is a good option for customers
using the Foundation edition, which is not available for Windows Server 2016.
- Windows Server 2016 Datacenter: For highly virtualized Datacenter and cloud environments
Windows Server 2016 licensing modelThe Windows Server 2016 licensing model includes both Cores + Client Access Licenses (CALs). Each user and/or device accessing a
licensed Windows Server Standard & Datacenter edition requires a Windows Server CAL or a Windows Server and a Remote Desktop
Services (RDS) CAL. A Windows Server CAL gives a user or device the right to access any edition of Windows Server of the same or
earlier version. Each Window Server CAL allows access to multiple licenses of Windows Server.
Core based licensing Requirements: Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter
- All physical cores in the server must be licensed. Servers are licensed based on the number of processor cores in the physical server.
- A minimum of 16 core licenses is required for each server.
- A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor.
- Core licenses will be sold in packs of two.
- Eight 2-core packs will be the minimum required to license each physical server.
- Standard Edition provides rights for up to two OSEs or Hyper-V containers when all physical cores in the server are licensed.
For every two additional VMs, all the cores in the server have to be licensed again.